IV Rating System - Niantic Just Can't Do It


So shocks upon shocks, Niantic revamped/updated their IV rating report for your caught Pokemon. For a  moment I thought that they would make the need for the third-party rating apps obsolete, but no, I was worried for no reason what-so-ever.

But I have to wonder what it is with Niantic and their inability to actually just report the actual IVs to the user base? They finally came around a few months back and started giving players good suggestions for raid boss counters, where you can actually win your solo raids now. So when I heard they revamped their IV system, I got pretty excited, and yet, there they are, still being generically helpful.

What gets me is why Niantic just can't come out and report the IVs, as they are, instead of having players judging about a ballpark number suggestions? SMH! Back to the third-party apps I go.

In the past, I've pointed out that how they phrase their IV rating reports seems to be hogwash.  To tell me that a Pokemon sucks in battle (paraphrased) versus super duper in battle, can be a bit misleading. Not completely wrong, but a bit misleading. IV's only add about 8% added ability to the stats. Or as as local expert put it,

"I would focus on CP more, IV isn’t super significantIf you have a maxed CP level mon with 0% IV, it would be better than evolving a level 10 100% IV mon. The difference between a 100% and 0% Hariyama vs an Absol is only 8 seconds in a gym battle, so if you have a high CP 60%, that is better than a low CP 90% IV mon. "
In all honesty, the game even has me a bit brainwashed because I just caught my first 0% IV mon and I seriously want to just dump it in the trash, and yet I have to repeat to myself what I read in a PokemonGo Hub piece,
"The higher a Pokémon’s Base Stats, the less of an effect its IVs will have on its overall damage output in battle... A higher level Pokémon with poor IVs will often deal more damage than a lower level Pokémon (of the same species) with high IVs."
Face it, when you have players catching two identical Pokemon (in this example in my head, but I've seen this) and saying that one is total trash with a 60% IV, versus 90%+ IV, it feels like Niantic brainwashing. It's a minuscule difference, and yet there are those that swear by these numbers.

But be it as it may, we (Including myself) are still fixated on IVs as a measure of keeping or tossing a captured or traded Pokemon. It's all part of the game, right?

At least Niantic did revamp the system to be a quicker and easier review process... so there's that.


Comments