The Myth of IV Appraisals in POKEMON GO!

The Myth of IV Appraisals in POKEMON GO!

When the Appraisal System came out in Pokemon Go, all the online trainers ate it up. Now we have a system that will tell us if we have a great or lousy fighter! Right? But it seems that the appraisal process stacks the odds in favor of Niantic's wallets if you keep listening to it as if it's actually an accurate appraisal. It's not good for the short-term player, but can weigh critically for the player looking at the very far off end-game.

-

Let's face it, CPs, IVs and MoveSets are all an interrelated set of numbers, added up on top of what's known as species base stats. Each species has their own set. Right? And the IVs are just bonus points on top of the base stats, creating the variety in the creatures capabilities that we measure. But there seems to be such a huge focus on IVs that you can get distracted by the momentum. I think they're important for the end-game, down the road, but for the initial focus on prepping for raids and gym battles, it's not as critical as they might be deemed.

When the appraisal system came out for Pokemon Go, I took my dose of party punch and after that, for the longest time, I was dumping everything I caught except for those that were the top 80% in VIs or for Valor, 'Simply Amazing.' I completely disregarded all other mons if they didn't qualify, but there was something I was missing as I was tossing out high level mons with mediocre IVs.

What I was missing was that even though I had myself a Charmander with a whopping 97% IV set, it was only at level 12 (mid-point in the CP arc) and it would take me over 220 candies and 217,000+ dust to level it up. Or, in other words, I'd be spending ALL my free time grinding out the catches, collecting candy and dust, all the while chasing inventory to make this dream of mine a reality.

Now never mind that level 34 Charmander with the 56% IV, it wasn't in the top 20%, so out it went! (See, I drank the punch and was an idiot all at the same time.)

But let's really look at this IV rating system that Niantic unleashed on the player base to understand how much or how little IVs really impact our monsters.

As Pokemon Go Hub says,

"The higher a Pokémon’s Base Stats, the less of an effect its IVs will have on its overall damage output in battle..."

They go on to say that if you have 100 IVs on a mon with huge base stats, you're only increasing the mons overall abilities by no more than 6.4%.  Even if you have a 100 IV mon with mediocre base stats, you only add to it's capabilites by 9%.

Now true, this 6 to 9% can add up with each round you go at it with a gym defender or Raid Boss, so we do have to keep that in mind!

Pokemon Go Hub goes on to say something I consider to be rather critical..,
"A higher level Pokémon with poor IVs will often deal more damage than a lower level Pokémon (of the same species) with high IVs."
Hmm...

{You can see the Hub post via the link at the bottom of this post...}

-

What I don't like is how Niantic labeled the Appraisals. They're insidious and misleading. Then again, we now know that everything Niantic does is geared towards drawing money out of the player base.

So when my appraiser first says that my Pokemon either amazes her, OR
That it may not be great in battle,

Is quite the lie that it may not be great in battle if the base stats are amazing to begin with.

Then

My appraiser is either blown away by its stats, OR
She says "Its stats don’t point to greatness in battle."

TO me, these are misleading tricks used by Niantic to get people to dump otherwise decent pokemon to continue their quests to find that good IV'd Pokemon. Which in turn, costs you time or money. And yet, the seasoned players say focus on CP levels first, then chase the IVs.

But there are the purists who still seem to focus on IVs, to some degree. I just had an argument that IVs sway characteristics and other stats, and while I tried to say it might only be a small percentage adjustment to base numbers, they seem to get perturbed with me, so I let it ride. If I'm right, it does no good trying to convince them what I'm seeing. And if I'm wrong, then so be it. Right?

We all have our specific game focus. Mine is to "spend" as little as possible, or as streamlined as possible to make my stardust go as far as possible, since Niantic continues to find ways to suck us dry of the dust in so many different ways like Community Days, special days, events, etc..

Peace out to whatever game style you prefer!

pokemongohub.net: ivs and their influence }

Comments